W32.SillyFDC.BDM is a worm that propagates by creating a copy of itself on removable USB and mapped network drives. W32.SillyFDC.BDM executable usually masquerades as a popular computer games to attract victims into running the file.
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
[expand title="Show More Details" swaptitle="Hide Details"]
When executed, W32.SillyFDC.BDM will drop a copy of itself on root drive as an executable game file common to many. The worm also modifies registry to add own entries that will allow self-execution at Windows start-up.
To spread W32.SillyFDC.BDM, it will create a duplicate copy on removable USB drive as well as mapped network drives. Random file name is used to avoid duplicate copies and avoid suspicion from infected computer users. For a complete list of file names associated with this worm, please see the “Associated Files and Folder” area.
How to Remove W32.SillyFDC.BDM
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. To be able to identify even the most recent variant of W32.SillyFDC.BDM, open your antivirus application and update the virus definition file.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Please select Safe Mode with Networking.
- The system will now boot Windows and loads only necessary drivers and files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to delete, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Scan with Norton Power Eraser:
Free tool from Symantec called Norton Power Eraser provides deep scanning technology to detect and remote threats like W32.SillyFDC.BDM. NPE targets and eliminate threats that regular virus scan fails to identify. Download NPE here.
Important! Because of Norton Power Eraser’s aggressive method, it can select even legitimate files as suspicious. Please use this tool very carefully.
Alternative Removal Method for W32.SillyFDC.BDM
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If W32.SillyFDC.BDM enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before W32.SillyFDC.BDM infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : W32.SillyFDC.BDM manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of W32.SillyFDC.BDM requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to W32.SillyFDC.BDM.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for W32.SillyFDC.BDM files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by W32.SillyFDC.BDM.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.