To remove W32.SillyFDC.BDN from an infected computer as well as affected USB drives, simply follow the guide on this article. You need tools from Symantec, which you can obtain for free.
W32.SillyFDC.BDN is a worm that will download additional malicious files on to the infected computer. W32.SillyFDC.BDN will propagate by creating a copy of itself on removable drives and execute it using an Autorun.Inf file.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
When the worm is executed, it will make a copy of itself under Windows System directory as rundll32.bak and winlogons.exe. It will also drop a file kurd.exe on the root directory of hard drive. These files are harmful and are necessary to spread the worm.
W32.SillyFDC.BDN may generate a registry entry that automatically executes the worm on every boot-up of Windows operating system. This registry entry will serve as loading point of the worm.
To conceal its presence, this worm may modify registry entries related to Windows Explorer files and folder options. It not just hides its files, but also certain folders on the entire drive.
The worm can communicate with specified web address to download additional malware and upgrade itself. This upgrade not just improves the worm’s ability to damage the PC but also performs other tasks that may lead to further infection.
Typical propagation of W32.SillyFDC.BDN is through social networking sites, instant messenger applications and spam email messages. There are also instance that shareware files from third party questionable web sites are bundled with a malicious code which when executed will result to W32.SillyFDC.BDN infection. Locally, the worm may spread by making a copy of itself onto removable USB drives. Apart from the executable file, it will also drop an autorun.inf file to run the worm when user accesses the drive.
How to Remove W32.SillyFDC.BDN
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore if your system is running on Windows Me/XP. [how to]
2. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Windows will boot loading only necessary drivers and system files. Expect that it will run with minimal features and low-resolution display.
3. Open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.SillyFDC.BDN.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
4. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove W32.SillyFDC.BDN without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove W32.SillyFDC.BDN and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for W32.SillyFDC.BDN
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If W32.SillyFDC.BDN enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before W32.SillyFDC.BDN infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, you can type system restore into the Start menu search box. Typing rstrui on the same box and pressing Enter also opens this function.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : W32.SillyFDC.BDN manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of W32.SillyFDC.BDN requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to W32.SillyFDC.BDN.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for W32.SillyFDC.BDN files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by W32.SillyFDC.BDN.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Technical ReferenceAssociated Files and Folders:Added Registry Entries:
Ways to Prevent W32.SillyFDC.BDN Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.