Content of this article is about W32.Downadup.E. This page includes description, technical aspects, and removal guide to delete the threat from your computer.
W32.Downadup.E is a worm that propagates on Internet by exploiting the Microsoft Windows Server Service RPC Handling Remote Code Execution Vulnerability. W32.Downadup.E will also attempt to download a copy of its variant W32.Downadup.C on to the compromised computer and spread it on the attached network if any was found.
When this Trojan executes, it will create a copy of itself under Temp folder of Windows. The file consists of a random filename executable file. It can also drop other file that will run as a service driver of Windows.
Next, W32.Downadup.E will modify a network driver file called tcpip.sys that will halt the network connection on the infected computer. For the same purpose, it will also alter several registry entries of Windows.
In order to spread a copy, this worm will make the infected computer as an HTTP server. It then attempts to establish a connection to a host computer and download the worm. Infected PC can then be a host computer for other exploited unit. This simple routine can propagate the worm faster instead of using a fix location.
If you have an installed antivirus program with the most recent update, there is a high probability that it can catch the worm ahead. On the image below, you can see how Symantec real-time protection captured and deleted W32.Downadup.E.
Damage Level: High
Systems Affected: Windows
How to Remove W32.Downadup.E
Step 1 : Scan and remove W32.Downadup.E with this special tool
1. Download the Downadup removal tool from this link and save it on your Desktop or any accessible location.
This tool is available free. It can delete members of the Downadup family of Trojan. The tool is created with removal function; it cannot protect the computer from threats.
2. Double click on downloaded file, chose "Extract all files..." from the File menu, and follow the wizard's instructions. You can use any other archiver, like WinZip. This will create a folder called bd_rem_tool.
3. Double click on the file "bd_rem_tool_gui.exe" (or just "bd_rem_tool_gui"). Make sure that all files have been extracted from the zip archive, because all the contents are required for the removal tool to run. Follow the tool's instructions.
4. If you have Restricted Access (not Admin) on Windows Vista and XP, right click the "bd_rem_tool_gui" program and choose "Run as Administrator". Enter the computer Administrator User name and Password when prompted. This will scan the computer for presence of W32.Downadup.E. Remove all detected threats.
5. Reboot your computer when scanning is finished.
Step 2 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Repeat the process of starting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.Downadup.E.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 3: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove W32.Downadup.E without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove W32.Downadup.E and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for W32.Downadup.E
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If W32.Downadup.E enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before W32.Downadup.E infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, you can type system restore into the Start menu search box. Typing rstrui on the same box and pressing Enter also opens this function.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Ways to Prevent W32.Downadup.E Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.