This page contains removal guide for W32.Koobface.A. You should follow the procedure to delete the virus as well as other harmful threats inside the computer.
W32.Koobface.A is a computer worm that propagates via social networking web sites. It utilizes an infected computer to create a botnet that spreads on peer-to-peer connection. An infected computer will communicate to other compromised machine and receive malicious commands. The main objective of W32.Koobface.A is to drop rogue software on victim’s computer and manipulate search queries to exhibit unexpected advertisements.
Alias: Net-Worm.Win32.Koobface.b, W32/Koobface.worm, Boface.A, WORM_KOOBFACE.V, W32/Koobface-AS, W32/Koobface-AL, Koobface.GQ, W32/Koobface-N, WORM_KOOBFACE.JG, WORM_KOOBFACE.EY, WORM_KOOBFACE.BX, W32/Koobface.CZ, Win32/Koobface.AC, Kbface, Troj/Mdrop-CMW
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
When executed on the computer, W32.Koobface.A may perform malicious actions including the following:
- Steals sensitive information like user name and password
- Use victim’s social networking account to spread a copy of the worm
- Inject malicious codes on Internet browser that will cause it to display excessive advertisements
- Redirect Internet browser to unsolicited web sites.
- Block access to certain web address
- Utilize the infected computer as command and control server for other similar infections
- Download more threats and update itself
- Modify Windows hosts file to re-router other requested Internet traffic to a local host
W32.Koobface.A primarily propagates via social networking sites as a shared video link. The link will point visitors to a web site that immediately prompts for a download of codec (player) in order to watch the requested video. Unknown to many, it is a copy of the worm that is being installed and the whole situation was created to attract users from being involve in this fraudulent act.
How to Remove W32.Koobface.A
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. First thing you should do is reboot the computer in Safe Mode with Networking to avoid W32.Koobface.A from loading at start-up.
Remove all media such as floppy drive, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode with Networking on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
Start computer in Safe Mode with Networking using Windows 8
a) Before Windows begins to load, press Shift and F8 on your keyboard.
b) On Recovery interface, click on 'See advanced repair options'.
c) Next, click on Troubleshoot option.
d) Then, select Advanced options from the list.
e) Lastly, please choose Windows Startup Settings and click on Restart. When Windows restarts, you will be send to a familiar Advanced Boot Options screen.
f) Select Safe Mode with Networking from the selections menu.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.Koobface.A.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove W32.Koobface.A without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove W32.Koobface.A and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for W32.Koobface.A
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, W32.Koobface.A drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Ways to Prevent W32.Koobface.A Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.