This post reveals how harmful W32.Mandaph is. It is important that you delete its presence from an infected computer.
W32.Mandaph is a computer worm that can propagate on mapped network drives and local hard drive. The threat also searches for an attached removable drives and similarly infects when found. This worm will attempt to communicate to a remote server in order to download and execute additional threats. It may establish the same connection to download a configuration file and update itself.
Alias: Troj/Agent-GXN, Troj/Dwnldr-IMK, Troj/Koceg-B
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP
When executed, this worm may drop a copy of itself under Windows directory and User Profile folder. Additional malicious files are also created under system folders. These files are essential to run the worm and perform its tasks.
To establish a start-up process and run the dropped files each Windows boot-up, W32.Mandaph will create own registry entries. Apart from that, it also alters existing entries for the same purpose. See Files and Registry section for a complete list of components added by this worm.
This threat also infects Internet browser on the computer. It can make changes to configuration and register itself as Browser Helper Object (BHO). Using this method, W32.Mandaph will be able to carry out actions that involve Internet browsing activity. Monitoring user’s web interest and recording visited web sites are just some cases.
W32.Mandaph also connects to a remote hosts utilizing HTTP request to receive commands and download additional files. It then executes these files on the infected computer, which leads to more harmful actions.
W32.Mandaph typically spread by means of malicious web sites that and spam email messages. Locally, this worm may infect removable drives by dropping an executable file and autorun configuration file that runs the worm automatically when user accessed the affected drive.
How to Remove W32.Mandaph
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Remove all media such as Memory Card, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.Mandaph.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove W32.Mandaph without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove W32.Mandaph and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for W32.Mandaph
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, W32.Mandaph drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : W32.Mandaph manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of W32.Mandaph requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to W32.Mandaph.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for W32.Mandaph files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete the following:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "[random charaters.exe]"
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode using the procedures above.
- Open your anti-virus program and thoroughly run a scan on the computer. Delete/Quarantine all identified threats to remove W32.Mandaph effectively.
4. Delete all files dropped by W32.Mandaph.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Yes, can badly affect your computer and slow down its performance and usability.
Can I Remove from my Computer?
Yes, can be removed by downloading our recommended antivirus software and scanner.
How Easy is it to Remove Virus?
Nearly all paid antivirus scanners and removal tools should help remove the virus from your computer.
Once I remove do I still need antivirus?
Yes, new viruses such as are created everyday and the only way to stay 100% protected is to use antivirus on your device.