Thorough tests show that Backdoor.Pihar will infect Master Boot Record of the computer and leads to the instability of Windows operation.
Backdoor.Pihar is a Trojan that may infect master boot record (MBR) of the target computer. Symantec and other anti-virus applications may detect the compromised MBR as Boot.Pihar. To allow remote unauthorized access, Backdoor.Pihar will open a backdoor and accepts commands from an attacker.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
When running inside the computer, Backdoor.Pihar creates a couple of random files using random hexadecimal characters. It also modifies various registry entries to lessen Internet browser’s security settings.
To run itself on Windows start-up, Backdoor.Pihar will add a registry entry that calls the Trojan during boot-up. Additionally, it will inject malicious code to master boot record (MBR) to achieve similar objective. The infected master boot record can be identified as Boot.Pihar.
Lastly, this Trojan will communicate to predefined web site address and accept remote commands through backdoor. It may contact any of the following web sites.
The Trojan may arrive on a computer in a number of schemes and that may include the following:
- Integrate a comment containing malicious links to unmanaged web sites and forums. The link aims to point user to a web site hosting the Trojan.
- It sends anonymous messages or postings to social networking sites. Again, the post includes a link to send user to a compromised web address.
- Malicious code is planted on pages of legitimate web sites that unexpectedly download the Trojan to visitor’s computer. This technique uses an SQL injection to attack any sites with known security vulnerability.
- Lastly, attackers behind Backdoor.Pihar use an unsecured file-sharing network to spread a copy of itself that are usually embedded on shareware applications. Downloading and executing the free program silently installs the Trojan without user’s notice.
How to Remove Backdoor.Pihar
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Remove all media such as Memory Card, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Backdoor.Pihar.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove Backdoor.Pihar without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove Backdoor.Pihar and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for Backdoor.Pihar
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Backdoor.Pihar drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Backdoor.Pihar manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Backdoor.Pihar requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Backdoor.Pihar.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Backdoor.Pihar files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete the following:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "[random charaters.exe]"
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode using the procedures above.
- Open your anti-virus program and thoroughly run a scan on the computer. Delete/Quarantine all identified threats to remove Backdoor.Pihar effectively.
4. Delete all files dropped by Backdoor.Pihar.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Yes, can badly affect your computer and slow down its performance and usability.
Can I Remove from my Computer?
Yes, can be removed by downloading our recommended antivirus software and scanner.
How Easy is it to Remove Virus?
Nearly all paid antivirus scanners and removal tools should help remove the virus from your computer.
Once I remove do I still need antivirus?
Yes, new viruses such as are created everyday and the only way to stay 100% protected is to use antivirus on your device.