Downloader.Upatre is a virus infection that normally attacks computers running on Windows operating system. This Trojan can download other threats coming from a remote server. There are several methods used by Downloader.Upatre to deploy a copy via the Internet.
Once user executes Downloader.Upatre, malicious routines are performed on the compromised computer. Effects of this Trojan may vary from various operating systems especially location of dropped files and registry values.
Propagation method of Downloader.Upatre:
Spam email messages are a channel being utilized by Downloader.Upatre to infect a computer. Normally, it arrives on the computer as attached file that when execute will trigger the attack. The email contains deceiving messages to entice users into opening the attached file.
It is observe that malicious links will direct victims to Downloader.Upatre. These links may reach user via spam email campaign, instant messaging application, social networking sites, or malicious blogs that tackle most recent issues.
Downloader.Upatre also spreads through peer-to-peer connection. In most occasions, malware author embeds the code onto legitimate executable files that are frequently downloaded from shared public server. Using a sophisticated technique, it often conceals itself from anti-virus software. Installing the desired program likewise executes Downloader.Upatre without your knowledge.
Downloader.Upatre may propagate through Trojan Downloader that you may encounter while visiting compromised web sites or web pages put-up by attacker to intentionally infect visitors. These kinds of sites are employing drive-by download method that automates the execution of Downloader.Upatre upon viewing the page.
Behaviours exhibited by Downloader.Upatre:
When the Trojan is executed, it drops files on the computer and alters registry settings to run itself each time Windows starts. Files that are linked to Downloader.Upatre are as follows:
How to Remove Downloader.Upatre
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Download Microsoft Safety Scanner and Run a Scan
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
If you have previous version of Microsoft Safety Scanner that is more than 10 days old, please disregard it. Download a new copy from the official web site. Every 10 days, Microsoft will release the latest edition of this tool with updated anti-virus definitions to ensure that it will detect even most recent malware threats.
1. Download Microsoft Safety Scanner by clicking the button below and save it on your desktop. This is a free tool from Microsoft that offers on-demand scanning. It helps remove computer infection such as malware, virus, and Trojan.
2. Restart Windows in Safe Mode.
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
3. Once Windows starts in Safe Mode, locate the file of Microsoft Safety Scanner (msert.exe) that you have downloaded earlier. Double-click to run the file.
4. When it shows End user license agreement, please accept and click Next to continue.
5. On Scan Type window, please select Full scan. The tool will scan the entire system. This is ideal to detect and remove all threats that are present on the computer.
6. Click Next to begin the scan. This process will take a while to finish. Please be patient and let MSS complete the scan procedure.
7. Once the scan operation ends, it will provide a report for identified threats. Please remove all the threats.
8. Reboot the computer and run another scan after Windows boots normally to make sure that Downloader.Upatre is gone. You may now restart Windows normally.
Step 2 : Double-check for Remnants of Downloader.Upatre using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including Downloader.Upatre. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove Downloader.Upatre, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or higher version, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administrator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will launch for the first time. It is necessary to proceed with software update.
6. After downloading updates, please click on Scan on the left sidebar.
7. Choose Threat Scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of Downloader.Upatre and other forms of threats. Click the Start Scan button to begin.
8. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Quarantine Selected.
9. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows.
Alternative Removal Procedure for Downloader.Upatre
Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Downloader.Upatre drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
How to Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
How to Open System Restore on Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.