Win32.CoinMiner is not a virus. It is a hacking tool that may be dropped on the computer by another Trojan infection. This tool will use extensive CPU resources once running on the system.
Win32.CoinMiner is mining software created to infiltrate Microsoft Windows systems. It attempts to generate digital coins for Bitcoin program by staging a complex computation expending high CPU resources. Usually, Bitcoin mining is running on the infected computer without user’s knowledge. It can be dropped by variants of Trojans coming from the same group of malware. This threat will drop certain files and tools that is necessary to operate the tool on the compromised PC.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
When Win32.CoinMiner is executed, it will create the following files.
With the most recent variants of this tool, users may notice presence of the following files and folders aside from those mentioned above.
Once running on the system, Win32.CoinMiner will perform a complicated calculation that aims to earn a Bitcoin blocks for its authors. In most recent trading, Bitcoin blocks are valued to at least US$ 20, which make this digital currency trading a new target for cyber-criminals.
Only noticeable symptom on the presence of Win32.CoinMiner is extreme reduction on performance of the PC. The tool will use extensive CPU resources to solve a complex cryptographic problem, which is called Bitcoin mining.
Win32.CoinMiner may arrive on a computer dropped by another Trojan infection. Some users also downloads malicious files from free servers without knowing that it is compromised with Win32.CoinMiner.
Image below shows how Microsoft Security Essentials have blocked the virus before it can enter the computer. It is important to have protection software to prevent attacks coming from Trojan such as Win32.CoinMiner.
How to Remove Win32.CoinMiner
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Remove all media such as Memory Card, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Win32.CoinMiner.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove Win32.CoinMiner without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove Win32.CoinMiner and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for Win32.CoinMiner
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Win32.CoinMiner drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.