Trojan.Alemod is a computer Trojan horse that compromises wininet.dll files on system. This Trojan also modifies desktop settings to display custom messages to users as part of its scare tactics. Trojan.Alemod can monitor user’s online browsing activity and logs all web traffic that transpires on the infected computer.
Technical Name: Trojan.Alemod
Threat Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows All
Aliases: Win32.Alemod, TROJ_ALEMOD.I, Win32/Alemod.I!DLL!, Trojan.Desktophijack.B, Trojan.Win32.Small.ev, W32/Alemod.F.dll, TROJ_ALEMOD.G
Trojan are computer threats that can perform various task such as download and execute files, remote control a computer, steal sensitive data, and monitor network traffics and internet activities on the infected system. Trojans are also known as primary channel to deploy malicious programs and rogue applications.
This threat arrives on the computer is various channels. Primarily, Trojan.Alemod can be dropped by another virus, which exploits certain vulnerabilities on operating system. Weakness on current security setup may also allow an attacker to drop Trojan.Alemod into the computer using malicious scripts hosted on online servers.
Once executed, Trojan.Alemod immediately creates the following files on the computer:
The Trojan then renames wininet.dll to oleadm32.dll. Then, it injects a code to this compromised file so that it can monitor web traffic and steal sensitive information from the computer. Trojan.Alemod also creates own registry entries to initialize itself during Windows bootup.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run\”WindowsFZ” = [location of executable file]
How to Remove Trojan.Alemod
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. First thing you should do is reboot the computer in Safe Mode with Networking to avoid Trojan.Alemod from loading at start-up.
Remove all media such as Memory Card, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Trojan.Alemod.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with Norton Power Eraser
1. Click on the button below to download Norton Power Eraser from official web site. Save it to your desktop or any location of your choice.
4. Once the file is downloaded, navigate its location and double-click on the icon (NPE.exe) to launch the program.
5. Norton Power Eraser will run. If it prompts for End User License Agreement, please click on Accept.
6. On NPE main window, click on Advanced. We will attempt to remove Trojan.Alemod components without restarting the computer.
7. On next window, select System Scan and click on Scan now to perform standard scan on your computer.
8. NPE will proceed with the scan. It will search for Trojans, viruses, and malware like Trojan.Alemod. This may take some time, depending on the number of files currently stored on the computer.
9. When scan is complete. All detected risks are listed. Remove them and restart Windows if necessary.
Alternative Removal Methods for Trojan.Alemod
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Trojan.Alemod drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.