This page contains detailed analysis on Podmena. To get rid of this Trojan, please use the removal guide below.
Podmena is a Trojan that spreads manually on computer through unsafe network drives and removable drives. Once executed, Podmena will drop multiple malicious files like podmena.exe, podmena.dll, podmena.bat and podmena.sys. It will also modify Windows registry to add an entry for itself that will load the malware when Windows starts. This threat also causes system malfunction due to corrupted files on the computer.
Symantec team identified the virus as Backdoor.Trojan, as such; it denotes that remote attacker may gain an access on the infected system. Stealing of sensitive data, monitoring process, and downloading more files are the main goal for this backdoor function.
An observation reveals that Podmena virus is causing a Google search redirect as many computer users are suffering from. When infected users do search using Google, it will display modified results showing malicious link. Clicking on any of the links will redirect user’s Interent browser to a web site that is home to another threat. Aside from that, Podmena virus will display pop-up advertisements on the infected computer.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
Podmena is a Trojan. It does not self-reproduce once executed on the computer. Trojans used to spread manually in several ways. Most often, they may arrive as an attached file to spam email messages pretending as a beneficial program. It also gets inside the computer through security and software exploitation. Other delivery method includes file-sharing networks, Internet Relay Chat (IRC), compromised legitimate web sites and malicious links from Instant messaging applications.
Below is a screenshot image how Symantec acted on this security risk.
How to Remove Podmena
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Download Microsoft Safety Scanner and Run a Scan
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
If you have previous version of Microsoft Safety Scanner that is more than 10 days old, please disregard it. Download a new copy from the official web site. Every 10 days, Microsoft will release the latest edition of this tool with updated anti-virus definitions to ensure that it will detect even most recent malware threats.
1. Download Microsoft Safety Scanner by clicking the button below and save it on your desktop. This is a free tool from Microsoft that offers on-demand scanning. It helps remove computer infection such as malware, virus, and Trojan.
2. Restart Windows in Safe Mode.
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
3. Once Windows starts in Safe Mode, locate the file of Microsoft Safety Scanner (msert.exe) that you have downloaded earlier. Double-click to run the file.
4. When it shows End user license agreement, please accept and click Next to continue.
5. On Scan Type window, please select Full scan. The tool will scan the entire system. This is ideal to detect and remove all threats that are present on the computer.
6. Click Next to begin the scan. This process will take a while to finish. Please be patient and let MSS complete the scan procedure.
7. Once the scan operation ends, it will provide a report for identified threats. Please remove all the threats.
8. Reboot the computer and run another scan after Windows boots normally to make sure that Podmena is gone. You may now restart Windows normally.
Step 2 : Double-check for Remnants of Podmena using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including Podmena. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove Podmena, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or higher version, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administrator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will launch for the first time. It is necessary to proceed with software update.
6. After downloading updates, please click on Scan on the left sidebar.
7. Choose Threat Scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of Podmena and other forms of threats. Click the Start Scan button to begin.
8. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Quarantine Selected.
9. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows.
Alternative Removal Procedure for Podmena
Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Podmena drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
How to Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
How to Open System Restore on Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Podmena manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Podmena requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Podmena.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Podmena files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Podmena.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 178
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 180
can badly affect your computer and slow down its performance and usability.
Can I Remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 186
from my Computer?
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 188
can be removed by downloading our recommended antivirus software and scanner.
How Easy is it to Remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 194
Nearly all paid antivirus scanners and removal tools should help remove the
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 196
virus from your computer.
Once I remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 202
do I still need antivirus?
Yes, new viruses such as
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 204
are created everyday and the only way to stay 100% protected is to use antivirus on your device.