This page contains detailed analysis on Trojan.Cryect. To get rid of this Trojan, please use the removal guide below.
Trojan.Cryect is a Trojan that when successfully penetrated the computer will open up a way to accept more threats from a remote host. This Trojan also alters system settings and Windows registry values. Installed antivirus program will have a slight chance of removing Trojan.Cryect if its process remains on Windows start-up.
Other malware infection may dropped Trojan.Cryect into a target computer using a random file name. With this method, its authors might be thinking of eluding antivirus program’s detection pattern.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
When initiated, Trojan.Cryect will dropped a malicious file on the computer. This file may have random names like mtsstart.dll. It is usually placed under System folder of Windows. In order to run the Trojan when Windows starts, it will create a service for itself. Once it is loaded, the Trojan may now perform the following tasks:
- Trojan.Cryect downloads randomly-selected malicious files from a remote computer.
- It works alongside other malware threats to complete its task on the affected system.
Trojan.Cryect typically propagate through various spam operation. It is either in the form of email or Internet campaign. A Trojan.Cryect main task once inside the system is to acquire more malware that cannot be distributed over the said campaign. Having a small size and able to conceal itself from security application, Trojan.Cryect certainly fits e-mail distribution routine. The Trojan will collect contact address from infected PC and mass-mail a copy utilizing the same machine as an SMTP server.
How to Remove Trojan.Cryect
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. First thing you should do is reboot the computer in Safe Mode with Networking to avoid Trojan.Cryect from loading at start-up.
Remove all media such as Memory Card, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Trojan.Cryect.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with Norton Power Eraser
1. Click on the button below to download Norton Power Eraser from official web site. Save it to your desktop or any location of your choice.
4. Once the file is downloaded, navigate its location and double-click on the icon (NPE.exe) to launch the program.
5. Norton Power Eraser will run. If it prompts for End User License Agreement, please click on Accept.
6. On NPE main window, click on Advanced. We will attempt to remove Trojan.Cryect components without restarting the computer.
7. On next window, select System Scan and click on Scan now to perform standard scan on your computer.
8. NPE will proceed with the scan. It will search for Trojans, viruses, and malware like Trojan.Cryect. This may take some time, depending on the number of files currently stored on the computer.
9. When scan is complete. All detected risks are listed. Remove them and restart Windows if necessary.
Alternative Removal Methods for Trojan.Cryect
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Trojan.Cryect drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Trojan.Cryect manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Trojan.Cryect requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Trojan.Cryect.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Trojan.Cryect files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Trojan.Cryect.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.