This page contains detailed analysis on Trojan.Jifake. To get rid of this Trojan, please use the removal guide below.
Trojan.Jifake is a Trojan horse that will connect and send premium SMS messages using victim’s account. It will send the SMS to the Russian premium short code number 5999 containing string “70+231401” that may apply charges to user without an approval.
Once you execute this Trojan, it will drop the following files on your device:
Then, the Trojan will try to send premium-rate SMS messages to an assigned numbers. Author behind Trojan.Jifake aims to earn a commission when the Telecom Company applies basic charges to the victim. The more SMS sent by the victims, the higher commission attacker might receive.
Trojan.Jifake may infect a system by downloading software from third party providers. It can be downloaded as a normal .JAR file installer that is common to Windows CE and Symbian Operating systems.
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Symbian OS, Windows CE
How to Protect Computer From Trojan.Jifake
Computer Security Recommendations:
– Install antivirus and firewall program. A combination of these two may prevent virus and hacking attack.
– Use complex passwords on every aspect that requires it. Hard to crack passowords containing alpha-numeric characters and not less than eight characters long will help prevent further damage on infected computer.
– Disable Autoplay of USB drives to avoid automatic launching of virus that is run via Autorun.Inf file
– Configure email clients to block incoming emails that contains attached files with .vbs, .bat, .exe, .pif and .scr extensions.
– Be wise in opening e-mail attachments. Spam messages that pretend to be from a known source may contain infected attached files.
– Never click on a suspicious link sent through instant messaging programs.
How to Remove Trojan.Jifake
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. First thing you should do is reboot the computer in Safe Mode with Networking to avoid Trojan.Jifake from loading at start-up.
Remove all media such as Memory Card, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Trojan.Jifake.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove Trojan.Jifake without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove Trojan.Jifake and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for Trojan.Jifake
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Trojan.Jifake drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.