Trojan.Ransomlock.E is a Trojan that locks the desktop of the infected computer and makes it unusable. Trojan.Ransomlock.E will display wallpaper containing Russian messages giving instructions on how to restore access on the computer.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
This Trojan will immediately drops several files when executed. Then, it will create a registry that may affect behavior of certain executable files when accessed. Additional registry is imported to modify desktop wallpaper and set its own dropped JPG file as the new one. Below is the wallpaper image that belongs to Trojan.Ransomlock.E.
While the Trojan is still active on the compromised computer, it may look for files with extensions .HTM, .CHM, .TXT and .JPG. When found, it renames these files by adding “.korrektor” at the end.
Trojan.Ransomlock.E can open an instance of Internet Explorer and connects to a malicious web site identified as:
http://]koppektop.sooot.cn (Already disabled)
Typical propagation of this Trojan includes compromised web site and unsecured file-sharing networks. Spam email messages are also used by attaching a copy of the Trojan and masquerades as software updated, MS Office files or Greeting Cards.
How to Remove Trojan.Ransomlock.E
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Download Microsoft Safety Scanner and Run a Scan
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
If you have previous version of Microsoft Safety Scanner that is more than 10 days old, please disregard it. Download a new copy from the official web site. Every 10 days, Microsoft will release the latest edition of this tool with updated anti-virus definitions to ensure that it will detect even most recent malware threats.
1. Download Microsoft Safety Scanner by clicking the button below and save it on your desktop. This is a free tool from Microsoft that offers on-demand scanning. It helps remove computer infection such as malware, virus, and Trojan.
2. Restart Windows in Safe Mode.
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
3. Once Windows starts in Safe Mode, locate the file of Microsoft Safety Scanner (msert.exe) that you have downloaded earlier. Double-click to run the file.
4. When it shows End user license agreement, please accept and click Next to continue.
5. On Scan Type window, please select Full scan. The tool will scan the entire system. This is ideal to detect and remove all threats that are present on the computer.
6. Click Next to begin the scan. This process will take a while to finish. Please be patient and let MSS complete the scan procedure.
7. Once the scan operation ends, it will provide a report for identified threats. Please remove all the threats.
8. Reboot the computer and run another scan after Windows boots normally to make sure that Trojan.Ransomlock.E is gone. You may now restart Windows normally.
Step 2 : Double-check for Remnants of Trojan.Ransomlock.E using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including Trojan.Ransomlock.E. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove Trojan.Ransomlock.E, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or higher version, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administrator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will launch for the first time. It is necessary to proceed with software update.
6. After downloading updates, please click on Scan on the left sidebar.
7. Choose Threat Scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of Trojan.Ransomlock.E and other forms of threats. Click the Start Scan button to begin.
8. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Quarantine Selected.
9. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows.
Alternative Removal Procedure for Trojan.Ransomlock.E
Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Trojan.Ransomlock.E drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
How to Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
How to Open System Restore on Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Trojan.Ransomlock.E manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Trojan.Ransomlock.E requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Trojan.Ransomlock.E.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Trojan.Ransomlock.E files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Trojan.Ransomlock.E.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 178
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 180
can badly affect your computer and slow down its performance and usability.
Can I Remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 186
from my Computer?
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 188
can be removed by downloading our recommended antivirus software and scanner.
How Easy is it to Remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 194
Nearly all paid antivirus scanners and removal tools should help remove the
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 196
virus from your computer.
Once I remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 202
do I still need antivirus?
Yes, new viruses such as
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan5.php on line 204
are created everyday and the only way to stay 100% protected is to use antivirus on your device.