W32.Rontokbro!gen2 is a detection method to identify threats that are associated to [email protected] family of Trojan. Filse that are detected to be infected with W32.Rontokbro!gen2 are considered malicious and immediate cleaning or removal must be performed. This type of Trojan will spread itself on a network of computers and sends itself on the addresses found on the compromised computer.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
How to Protect Computer From W32.Rontokbro!gen2
Use security programs:
– Install antivirus and always update the database to ensure that it will detect new threats and viruses.
– Use a firewall to block all unwanted incoming Internet traffic.
– Anti-malware is also advise aside from installed antivirus programs.
– Be cautious in opening e-mail attachments. Spam messages that pretend to be from a known source may contain infected attached files.
– Never click on a suspicious link sent through instant messaging programs.
How to Remove W32.Rontokbro!gen2
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. First thing you should do is reboot the computer in Safe Mode with Networking to avoid W32.Rontokbro!gen2 from loading at start-up.
Remove all media such as Memory Card, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.Rontokbro!gen2.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with Norton Power Eraser
1. Click on the button below to download Norton Power Eraser from official web site. Save it to your desktop or any location of your choice.
4. Once the file is downloaded, navigate its location and double-click on the icon (NPE.exe) to launch the program.
5. Norton Power Eraser will run. If it prompts for End User License Agreement, please click on Accept.
6. On NPE main window, click on Advanced. We will attempt to remove W32.Rontokbro!gen2 components without restarting the computer.
7. On next window, select System Scan and click on Scan now to perform standard scan on your computer.
8. NPE will proceed with the scan. It will search for Trojans, viruses, and malware like W32.Rontokbro!gen2. This may take some time, depending on the number of files currently stored on the computer.
9. When scan is complete. All detected risks are listed. Remove them and restart Windows if necessary.
Alternative Removal Methods for W32.Rontokbro!gen2
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, W32.Rontokbro!gen2 drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.