WMA.Wimad.Drp is a detection method to identify malicious or infected MP3 files. This Trojan usually spreads through file-sharing networks and infects multimedia files on victim’s computer. The Trojan may also infect several driver and dynamic link library (DLL) files on the compromised system.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
Once executed, WMA.Wimad.Drp will look for presence of multimedia file. When found, the Trojan may embed malicious code that may result to automatic execution when user opens the file. It targets files that are located inside the directory of P2P software. WMA.Wimad.Drp Trojan anticipates spreading itself when sharing the infected files via this channel.
Aside from infected multimedia files, WMA.Wimad.Drp also drops other types of threats. It adds harm by infecting DLL files and driver files. These new viruses will drop multiple harmful files under Windows system folder. It may also add unwanted toolbar called Morpheus inside Internet Explorer.
This Trojan may arrive on a computer posing as a media decoder. It typically spreads on file-sharing networks or peer-to-peer connections. Additionally, WMA.Wimad.Drp may use infected web sites. When user attempts to view multimedia files from this site, the Trojan will prompt that a decoder is required. However, instead of having access to the video, user may obtain the Trojan without his knowledge.
Issue with Avast Antivirus
In some instances, many computer users who encounter WMA.Wimad.Drp infection are suffering from false positive. The Trojan do not exists on their computer. The main reason why Avast detects some files as harmful is because of file-association that is unknown to older version of the anti-virus. To resolve this issue, please update your installed Avast program.
How to Remove WMA.Wimad.Drp
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Remove all media such as Memory Card, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of WMA.Wimad.Drp.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove WMA.Wimad.Drp without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove WMA.Wimad.Drp and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for WMA.Wimad.Drp
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, WMA.Wimad.Drp drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.