If your computer is infected with W32.Imamihong, you may follow the procedure on this page to contain this threat. Remove the Trojan at once before it can further harm the system.
W32.Imamihong is a harmful virus that will search for and infect .html and %Windir%\explorer.exe files. This virus will spread by creating a copy of itself on an unsafe network-shared drives. The main objective of this virus is to collect information from a target computer and send these data to a remote attacker.
Once W32.Imamihong is executed, it will infect the following file:
The virus will also search the hard drive for presence of .HTML files and when found, it will inject an iframe into them. If user executes any of the infected .HTML file, their Internet browser will be redirected to malicious web sites that may cause further infection.
W32.Imamihong may proceed with its payload and steals information including the following:
- Computer name
- Volume information and serial number
- Network details like IP address, Gateway and DNS records
- Web browsers activity and Internet cookies
- Operating system version and service pack edition
After stealing these data, the virus will try to connect to specified web address and upload the file.
This virus may spread through infected web sites that contain the harmful code. Additionally, there are observations that W32.Imamihong is taking advantages of user’s attraction to social networking sites. This virus may post malicious links to these sites that points to the location of the virus.
Locally, it will propagate via network shares that are not protected properly. Moreover, the virus may copy itself to the root drive of the infected computer. It will also drop an autorun.inf file to each drive so that the virus executes whenever the drive is accessed.
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
How to Protect Computer From W32.Imamihong
Use security programs:
– Install antivirus and always update the database to ensure that it will detect new threats and viruses.
– Use a firewall to block all unwanted incoming Internet traffic.
– Anti-malware is also advise aside from installed antivirus programs.
– Be cautious in opening e-mail attachments. Spam messages that pretend to be from a known source may contain infected attached files.
– Never click on a suspicious link sent through instant messaging programs.
How to Remove W32.Imamihong
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Remove all media such as Memory Card, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.Imamihong.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove W32.Imamihong without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove W32.Imamihong and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for W32.Imamihong
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, W32.Imamihong drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.