This page contains detailed analysis on W32.Xpiro.D. To get rid of this Trojan, please use the removal guide below.
W32.Xpiro.D is a widely-spread virus that will steal sensitive information from an infected computer including user name and password. W32.Xpiro.D will infect executable files and monitors web browser activity particularly if user pays a visit to online banking web site.
Alias: Troj/Agent-QVH, Troj/DwnLdr-IYH
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
When user executes W32.Xpiro.D, it will create a single DLL file:
%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\wsr17zt32.dll
Next, the virus will search the local drives for .EXE files and injects it with a malicious code. An instance of the Trojan will load once user opens any of the infected files. The virus will monitor victim’s Internet activity and records the following information:
- Current language settings
- Software product IDs
- System Volume Information
- Windows version and system details
Additionally, the Trojan may also steal these data from your Internet browser:
- Visited online banking web sites
- User name, password and online banking account details
- Internet cookies and saved information
W32.Xpiro.D arrives on computers in several methods. Most of the popular method is to send Trojan through spamming method. It is usually attach to email messages. Users may also be infected when they execute a harmful link from instant messaging program. The link is originally sent from address of a friend on contact lists, but sender is unaware that Trojan on their computer is sending out malicious information. Most of the time, the message will contain tempting links on trending news and events.
Another means of propagation is through drive-by-download. Trojan can enter the computer by simply visiting a web site that is either legitimate but compromised or web pages that is harmful in nature.
How to Remove W32.Xpiro.D
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan your computer with suggested tools and scanners.
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Scan and remove W32.Xpiro.D with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' anti-malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including W32.Xpiro.D. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove W32.Xpiro.D, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or higher version, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administrator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Before the installation procedure ends, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will prompt if you want to launch the application. Please leave the check mark on Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
6. Lastly, click the Finish button.
7. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will launch for the first time. It is necessary to proceed with database update.
8. Remove all media such as Memory Card, CD, DVD, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer.
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
9. Once Windows is running on Safe Mode, find the icon of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Double-click to launch the program.
10. Choose Threat Scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of W32.Xpiro.D and other forms of threats. Click the Start Scan button to begin.
11. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Remove Selected.
12. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows normally.
Step 2 : Run a scan with your anti-virus program/a>
1. Repeat the process of starting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.Xpiro.D.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 3: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove W32.Xpiro.D without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove W32.Xpiro.D and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for W32.Xpiro.D
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, W32.Xpiro.D drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
How to Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
How to Open System Restore on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : W32.Xpiro.D manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of W32.Xpiro.D requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to W32.Xpiro.D.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for W32.Xpiro.D files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be saved automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by W32.Xpiro.D.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Yes, can badly affect your computer and slow down its performance and usability.
Can I Remove from my Computer?
Yes, can be removed by downloading our recommended antivirus software and scanner.
How Easy is it to Remove Virus?
Nearly all paid antivirus scanners and removal tools should help remove the virus from your computer.
Once I remove do I still need antivirus?
Yes, new viruses such as are created everyday and the only way to stay 100% protected is to use antivirus on your device.