This article contains information about W32/Conficker!mem. The page includes description, technical aspects, and removal guide to delete the threat from your computer.
W32/Conficker!mem is a heuristic detection for a memory-related worm that may take advantage of the Microsoft Windows Server Service Vulnerability. This virus can download and execute more harmful files on to the computer. It modifies system registry to allow the virus to pass-through Windows firewall. Then, it will connect to a remote host where it will download the file. Typically, W32/Conficker!mem fetches file that it will use to update itself. Study also shows that the worm may pull down other malware that it will execute on the compromised computer.
Alias: Worm:Win32/Conficker.A, Crypt.AVL, Mal/Conficker-A, Trojan.Win32.Pakes.lxf, Trojan.Win32.Pakes.lxf, W32.Downadup, Worm:Win32/Conficker.B, WORM_DOWNAD.A
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
W32/Conficker!mem is a detection related to memory infection caused by Conficker family of viruses. W32/Conficker!mem and its variants may spread by exploiting the MS08-067 vulnerability in Windows Server Service that can allow a remote code to be executed on the target computer.
There are several ways to identify if the system is contracted with W32/Conficker!mem. Some of these symptoms may vary:
- Disabled access to network shares such as directories, files and printers
- Unwanted scheduled tasks or job that continue to increase as the virus stays resident
- Prohibited Internet access to certain security web sites that also affects direct updating of installed anti-virus applications
Below is the screenshot of W32/Conficker!mem detection. It is vital that your antivirus program have the most recent update to protect the PC against this virus.
How to Remove W32/Conficker!mem
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan your computer with suggested tools and scanners.
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Scan and remove W32/Conficker!mem with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' anti-malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including W32/Conficker!mem. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove W32/Conficker!mem, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or higher version, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administrator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Before the installation procedure ends, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will prompt if you want to launch the application. Please leave the check mark on Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
6. Lastly, click the Finish button.
7. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will launch for the first time. It is necessary to proceed with database update.
8. Remove all media such as Memory Card, CD, DVD, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer.
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
9. Once Windows is running on Safe Mode, find the icon of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Double-click to launch the program.
10. Choose Threat Scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of W32/Conficker!mem and other forms of threats. Click the Start Scan button to begin.
11. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Remove Selected.
12. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows normally.
Step 2 : Run a scan with your anti-virus program/a>
1. Repeat the process of starting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32/Conficker!mem.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 3: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove W32/Conficker!mem without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove W32/Conficker!mem and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for W32/Conficker!mem
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, W32/Conficker!mem drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
How to Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
How to Open System Restore on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : W32/Conficker!mem manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of W32/Conficker!mem requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to W32/Conficker!mem.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for W32/Conficker!mem files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be saved automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by W32/Conficker!mem.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan3.php on line 170
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan3.php on line 172
can badly affect your computer and slow down its performance and usability.
Can I Remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan3.php on line 178
from my Computer?
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan3.php on line 180
can be removed by downloading our recommended antivirus software and scanner.
How Easy is it to Remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan3.php on line 186
Nearly all paid antivirus scanners and removal tools should help remove the
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan3.php on line 188
virus from your computer.
Once I remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan3.php on line 194
do I still need antivirus?
Yes, new viruses such as
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan3.php on line 196
are created everyday and the only way to stay 100% protected is to use antivirus on your device.