Worm like JS.Phremous harms the computer by creating duplicate copy of the folder name with .LNK extension. The original folder is set to hidden.
JS.Phremous is a computer worm that may infect local drives, removable drives and network shared drives. This worm may arrive on computers as an .HTML file through various propagation methods. Though, spam email campaign and file download are the primary sources of JS.Phremous infection as per our latest analysis.
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
There are several ways to launch a maliciously coded .HTML file. Browser like Internet Explorer or Notepad can be utilized to open the file. While launching the worm, the initiating program will be set outside of the viewing screen so that it is hidden from the victim. Only visible indication of open program is the existing tab in Windows taskbar.
On the other hand, JS.Phremous will create shortcut icons that will not reveal any open programs on Windows taskbar when launched. The worm runs in a stealth way that user may not see or detect any signs of it. Once it is inside the system, the worm will drop several copies of MOrPheS.tpl. At the same time, JS.Phremous will make a .LNK version of the following folders on the computer and hides the original one.
- %DriveLetter%\[FOLDER NAME]
- %UserProfile%\Desktop\[FOLDER NAME]
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\[FOLDER NAME]
- %UserProfile%\My Documents\[FOLDER NAME]
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\[FOLDER NAME]
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programas\[FOLDER NAME]
JS.Phremous will spread by making use of the huge opportunity it can obtain from the Internet. The worm will propagate through email, peer-to-peer network connections, instant messaging programs or social networking sites. When JS.Phremous is inside the computer, it will extend the infection to other computer via removable USB drives, network drives, and local drives of the compromised PC.
How to Remove JS.Phremous
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Remove all media such as Memory Card, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of JS.Phremous.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove JS.Phremous without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove JS.Phremous and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for JS.Phremous
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, JS.Phremous drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : JS.Phremous manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of JS.Phremous requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to JS.Phremous.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for JS.Phremous files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete the following:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "[random charaters.exe]"
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode using the procedures above.
- Open your anti-virus program and thoroughly run a scan on the computer. Delete/Quarantine all identified threats to remove JS.Phremous effectively.
4. Delete all files dropped by JS.Phremous.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan2.php on line 160
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan2.php on line 162
can badly affect your computer and slow down its performance and usability.
Can I Remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan2.php on line 168
from my Computer?
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan2.php on line 170
can be removed by downloading our recommended antivirus software and scanner.
How Easy is it to Remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan2.php on line 176
Nearly all paid antivirus scanners and removal tools should help remove the
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan2.php on line 178
virus from your computer.
Once I remove
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan2.php on line 184
do I still need antivirus?
Yes, new viruses such as
Notice: Undefined variable: kword in /var/www/html/wp-content/themes/happenstance/s_trojan2.php on line 186
are created everyday and the only way to stay 100% protected is to use antivirus on your device.