‘Warning: Infection is Detected’ is a misleading security alert that displays on Windows task bar of computer currently infected with malware. This fake alert is intentionally put into service by rogue developer to further deceive victims with misinformation routine. From time to time the message will appear to repeatedly remind user of existing threats and attack. In reality, there may be no other infection except for the malware that issues these fake alert messages. Just to be sure, immediately run a full scan of antivirus or antimalware program to thoroughly inspect the computer for presence of pest.
‘Warning: Infection is Detected’ may start appearing as a symptom of malicious actions brought about by rogue security application. Aside from pop-up alert, this task bar message seems to help rogue developers to insist the importance of their product. Who would think that it is part of malicious campaign when Windows users are used into seeing this message as a valid reminder coming from the operating system.
Technical Details and Additional Information:
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
In a most persuasive manner, rogue developer tries to deceive users and let them consider the promoted program as the only solution in resolving existing PC problems. This is the reason why fake warning is integrated on counterfeit activities. One example warning may contain this text:
Warning: Infection is Detected
Windows has found spyware infection on your computer! Click here to update your Windows antivirus software…
How to Remove Warning: Infection is Detected
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definition file. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of 'Warning: Infection is Detected'
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Please select Safe Mode with Networking.
- The system will now boot Windows and loads only necessary drivers and files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove 'Warning: Infection is Detected' without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found here or on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
6. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready for online virus scanning.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished you may now restart the computer in normal mode.