A detection of Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen by rogue security programs listed on this page is a mere scare tactic. You can stop Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen pop-up when you remove the rogue product from the computer.
Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen is a threat displayed as detected by rogue security application aiming to deceive computer users. The warning is part of Firewall Alert exhibited by a family of rogue programs that will disguise to be part of Windows system. Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen is unreal that serves to frighten victims attempting to induce them to buy the complete version of an endorsed product. Typically, these promoted software are distributed in multi-versions for different operating systems:
Artificially detecting Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen from a clean and secured computer is intentionally put on view to scare users. On this tactics, rogue developers are hoping that frightened victims will keep their advice in obtaining the registered version of the endorsed program. The firewall alert contains the following message:
Internet Explorer is infected with Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen. Private data can be stolen by third parties, including credit card details and passwords.
This imaginary detection may lead to a more serious problem is user attempts to acquire the rogue program using credit card account. Not only that payment processing is not secured during the process, but rogue authors will take advantage of the scenario to charge the account more than the introduced price. Worst, credit card credential is used for some fraudulent online transaction to fund the operation of online illegal activities.
Systems Affected: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7
Screenshot Images of Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen:
As shown above, Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen is presented on fake Firewall Alert. Notice that the pop-up immediately recommend to activate the rogue program.
As expected, the same scheme is employed by latest variants of unwanted application, the same Firewall Alert containing duplicate messages. Only a slight changes on graphical design.
How to Remove Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Download Microsoft Safety Scanner and Run a Scan
NOTE: We suggest that you PRINT or BOOKMARK this guide. There are steps that we may have to restart the computer in order to successfully remove the threat.
If you have previous version of Microsoft Safety Scanner that is more than 10 days old, please disregard it. Download a new copy from the official web site. Every 10 days, Microsoft will release the latest edition of this tool with updated anti-virus definitions to ensure that it will detect even most recent malware threats.
1. Download Microsoft Safety Scanner by clicking the button below and save it on your desktop. This is a free tool from Microsoft that offers on-demand scanning. It helps remove computer infection such as malware, virus, and Trojan.
2. Restart Windows in Safe Mode.
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Close any running programs on your computer.
b) Get ready to Start Windows. On your keyboard, Press and Hold Shift key and then, click on Restart button.
c) It will prompt you with options, please click on Troubleshoot icon.
d) Under Troubleshoot window, select Advanced Options.
e) On next window, click on Startup Settings icon.
f) Lastly, click on Restart button on subsequent window.
g) When Windows restarts, present startup options with numbers 1 - 9. Select "Enable Safe Mode with Networking" or number 5.
h) Windows will now boot on Safe Mode with Networking. Proceed with virus scan as the next step.
3. Once Windows starts in Safe Mode, locate the file of Microsoft Safety Scanner (msert.exe) that you have downloaded earlier. Double-click to run the file.
4. When it shows End user license agreement, please accept and click Next to continue.
5. On Scan Type window, please select Full scan. The tool will scan the entire system. This is ideal to detect and remove all threats that are present on the computer.
6. Click Next to begin the scan. This process will take a while to finish. Please be patient and let MSS complete the scan procedure.
7. Once the scan operation ends, it will provide a report for identified threats. Please remove all the threats.
8. Reboot the computer and run another scan after Windows boots normally to make sure that Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen is gone. You may now restart Windows normally.
Step 2 : Double-check for Remnants of Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or higher version, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administrator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will launch for the first time. It is necessary to proceed with software update.
6. After downloading updates, please click on Scan on the left sidebar.
7. Choose Threat Scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen and other forms of threats. Click the Start Scan button to begin.
8. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Quarantine Selected.
9. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows.
Alternative Removal Procedure for Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen
Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
How to Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
How to Open System Restore on Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.