Android smartphones are vulnerable to most threats and exploitations. Most of these originate from the internet. Besides the built-in protection, it is essential to safeguard your Android smartphone when surfing the internet. The best way to do this is by using the best Android VPN apps. The best VPN apps ensure your internet security and privacy are always safeguarded, and you surf the internet without a trace. Furthermore, an Android VPN ensures that you also get to block malware, unblock geo-restricted content, and bypass censorships and gain access to various streaming services. Additionally, Android VPN apps ensure that you evade ISP injustices such as bandwidth throttling.
Table of Content
What is a VPN for Android?
A VPN for Android smartphones is a Virtual Private Network service that ensures your Android’s internet connection is always secure and private. A VPN for Android does this by using various encryptions, protocols, and a secure tunnel to ensure your internet traffic is safe while on transit on the internet. The encryptions ensure that your internet traffic is invisible to prying eyes such as your ISP, cyber-criminal and other third parties. When tunneling the traffic via a VPN server, a VPN for Android spoofs your IP address and this ensures you are private on the internet. This technique, coupled with other functionalities ensure that you bypass censorships, geo-restrictions, and gain access to various services and blocked content.
Pros and Cons of an Android VPN
- Ensures your internet privacy and security are not compromised
- Unblocks blocked and geo-restricted content
- Avoid ISP throttling and data capping
- Gain access to torrents and streaming sites
- Avoid online trackers, block malware, and ads.
- Enjoy geo-location based services
- Can drain your smartphone resources
- Affects internet speeds
How we choose the Best Android VPN apps 2020
Getting to choose the best VPN service for your Android can be a tiresome task. This is because there are lots of VPN in the Android realm. Most of them offer impeccable services, while others do not deliver what they claim to offer. On the other hand, others will comprise your security and privacy instead of protecting them. Here are the factors to consider.
- Encryption and protocols – Encryptions and protocols are the building blocks of VPNs. Protocols govern how communication and encryption are done while encryptions ensure that your internet traffic is safe from prying eyes. The performance of a VPN also relies on the protocols used. Best Android VPNs have protocols that cater for both speed and security.
- Jurisdiction and logging policy – Jurisdiction laws dictate how a VPN should carry its operations in a given country. Countries with unfavorable laws such as data retention or with agencies that are given jurisdiction over users’ privacy are not suitable for a VPN. Besides jurisdiction, a VPN’s logging policy affects the privacy and security of its users. The best Android VPNs have a strict/zero/no-log policy.
- Extra security and privacy features – Besides encryptions and privacy, the best VPNs to use on your Android should have complementary security and privacy features. Such features include; DNS leaks, WebRTC leaks, IPv6 leaks protection, Wi-Fi protection, and a kill switch. The best VPN for Android should also protect against ads, malware and trackers.
- Worldwide servers optimized for speed – the best Android VPN apps should cater to the need for speed and ability to handle speed intensive tasks. For a VPN to offer this, it must have optimized servers. Besides, strategically placed servers ensure a VPN service will be able to bypass geo-restrictions, censorships and unblock content.
- Customer service –excellent customer care is crucial to a VPN service. The best Android VPN service should provide all-round professional customer support. This ensures quick problem-solving.
- Cost – to get a good VPN service, you must pay for it. Avoid free VPN services as they sabotage your privacy and security; they do this by selling your traffic – there is no such thing as free lunch.
Best Android VPN apps 2020
ExpressVPN – Supercharge your Android with speeds
Pricing Plans: $12.95 every month, $59.95 every 6 months, $99.95 first 15 months
This British Virgin Islands (BVI) based VPN service is one of the best VPN for Android. The BVI jurisdiction is favorable to VPN services for various reasons. One of which does not have mandatory data retention laws. In addition to this favorable jurisdiction, Express VPN has a no-log policy. This means Express VPN takes your privacy seriously. It also uses the best in class encryption of AES 256 bit and offers advanced leak protection to ensure your Android internet traffic is always protected. On Android, Express VPN offers split tunneling, a nifty feature to access both your local network and also be secure using the VPN, a kill switch, and servers optimized for speed and unlimited bandwidth.
It has a seamless, intuitive interface that integrates well with the Android ecosystem. Its multilingual interface supports up to 12 other languages in case English is not your first choice. Its simple arrangement of features and functionality makes it an easy to use VPN. There is an on button for connecting to a smart location. You can select various servers, tweak with the settings and customize the VPN to link with your most-used apps and services. In case you are not satisfied with the service, Express VPN has a risk free 30-day money-back guarantee. This VPN allows up to 5 simultaneous connections.
- A huge global network of 3,000 plus VPN servers
- Unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds
- Trusted server technology
- Best in class encryption
- Zero-knowledge DNS
- 24hr live chat support
- 7 day free trial for Android
- Expensive pricing plans
- Only 5 simultaneous connection
NordVPN – Enjoy advanced security
Pricing Plans: $11.95 billed every month, $83.88 billed every year, $119.76 billed every 2 years, $125.64 billed every 3 years
NordVPN for Android enjoys a large user base of users and has some great reviews on the Play Store. This is because NordVPN provides topnotch privacy and security for Android devices. Based in Panama, NordVPN enjoys a jurisdiction that respects the privacy of users and does not have mandatory data retention laws. This VPN also sports a No log policy that has been audited and proven by a third party. Besides privacy, NordVPN for Android also takes your security seriously. This VPN service uses the military-grade AES 256 encryption, has a CyberSec feature to block malware and ads and protects against leaks. There is also double encryption, Obfuscated servers, reliable OpenVPN UDP and TCP protocol, and you always stay safe when you are on Wi-Fi. Its servers offer unlimited bandwidth and speed suitable for speed intensive tasks and torrenting is allowed.
The VPN app sports a thumb-friendly intuitive interface with a clear organization of functionalities. There is also a visual appeal of a connection map that shows a server you have connected to. The VPN apps also feature a Quick Connect button that connects you instantly with a single tap to the best VPN server. NordVPN provides easy navigation and you can tweak with the settings without any hassle. This VPN service allows a simultaneous connection of up to 6 devices, has a great customer support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Excellent distribution of 5,500 plus servers worldwide
- Unlimited bandwidth and ultra-fast servers
- Double VPN encryption
- No log policy
- Excellent customer support
- Six simultaneous connections
- Blocks malware and ads
- 7 day free trial for Android
- Some features are not compatible with the latest Android version
IPVanish – Online privacy made easy
Pricing Plans: $10.00 monthly, $77.99 annually, $99.00 every 2 years
IPVanish for Android is one of the fastest VPN services that has proven to provide a secure environment for surfing the internet. This is despite its located in the US, a jurisdiction that allows agencies to carry out mass surveillance which hinders users’ privacy. Even with this jurisdiction, IPVanish is a strict no-log policy VPN and it operates its VPN infrastructure. This gives it a sense of privacy and security. It uses the AES 256-bit encryption for security, an OpenVPN scramble on the OpenVPN protocol and split tunneling. IPVanish also offers IPv4 leak protection on the Android app. Its top tier servers provide unlimited bandwidth and server switching with high speeds suitable for bandwidth-intensive tasks.
The IPVanish Android VPN app has a clutter-free interface that is easy to use and compatible with Dark Mode. Organization of features and functionalities is presented in its green hue against the dark background. IPVanish sports a Quick connect button with various preferences that help you connect to the best server and location in your preferred country. Its minimal settings also make it suitable for everyone including novice users. IPVanish VPN offers a 7 day money-back guarantee, a 24/7 customer support and allows up to 10 simultaneous connections.
- Top tier 1300 plus servers worldwide
- Unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Zero traffic logs
- Split tunneling and IPv4 leak protection
- 24/7 customer support
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 7 day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t unblock Netflix
VyprVPN – Enjoy fast connections
Pricing Plans: $12.95 billed every month, $45.00 billed every year, $60.00 billed every 2 years
This Switzerland based VPN has a continuously growing reputation as one of the best Android VPNs. Regarding privacy and it has a no-log policy and was among the first VPN services to audited independently. The audit confirmed that Vypr VPN is indeed a no-log VPN. Vypr VPN also implements various features to ensure your Android traffic is always secure. Firstly, Vypr VPN owns its VPN infrastructure that is optimized to offer the best service. This VPN service uses the AES 256 bit encryption and supports various protocols such as OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec. Furthermore, Vypr VPN uses its proprietary Chameleon protocol that bypasses deep packet censorship and allows you to access restricted content while keeping you secure. Its servers also offer unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds.
Its Android VPN app sports a clean, minimalistic interface, a class app with everything you need for Android VPN protection. The app offers a kill switch, an easy to use Wi-Fi protection option, URL filtering via a NAT firewall and easy connection mode. Vypr VPN allows up to 5 simultaneous connections, 24/7 customer support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- High levels of speed and security
- Unlimited bandwidth and servers switching
- Zero logs VPN
- No third-party involvement in the service
- Chameleon protocol and NAT firewall
- 24/7 customer service
- 3 day trial for Android
- Up to 5 simultaneous connection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Fewer servers, 700 plus servers
Private Internet Access – Quality and reliable VPN service
Pricing Plans: $9.95 monthly, $35.95 per six months, $39.95 per year
Similar to IPVanish, Private Internet Access VPN or PIA, is also a US-based VPN but with a good reputation and a growing customer base. PIA VPN is one of the few VPNs that has proven its claim on zero logs in a court of law. With this Android VPN, you will not have to worry about your internet traffic and activities being visible to prying eyes. On Android, PIA VPN uses the AES 256-bit encryption and supports secure protocols such as L2TP/IPSec and OpenVPN on devices with root permission. It also offers a kill switch, a firewall, and IP cloaking; its servers offer unlimited bandwidths, incredible speeds and have the ability to use multiple VPN gateways.
It’s Android VPN app has a clean, user-friendly interface with easy access to functionality and features. Similar to the other VPN services, PIA offers Wi-Fi security and gives you the ability to set which apps to access the VPN tunnel. Its subscription plans provide a 7-day money-back guarantee and it allows up to 10 simultaneous connections.
- 3266 plus fast servers
- Unlimited bandwidth with fast speeds
- No traffic logs
- Reliable VPN service
- Blocks, ads, malware, and trackers
- 10 simultaneous connections
- Lacks some desktop features
- 7 day money-back guarantee
Security and privacy are essential factors you should always consider when using your Android smartphone to access the internet. The best solution to take care of both is by using the above best Android VPN apps. They will ensure that your Android traffic is always safe and not visible to prying eyes.
Why should I use an Android VPN app?
A VPN app for Android ensures that your privacy and security are not compromised. A VPN does this by using encryptions and tunneling your traffic via a secure server.
Can a VPN increase my internet speed?
The only time a VPN can increase your internet speed is when your ISP is throttling it. Besides that, a VPN will always lower your internet speed by a specific percentage due to the encryption overhead.
Is it illegal to use a VPN for Android?
It is legal to use a VPN in most countries, but other regimes restrict the use of VPNs to access restricted content. In these countries, VPNs are banned.
Can I use a free VPN on Android?
Free VPNs are not recommendable to use on Android devices. This is because most of them sabotage your security and privacy instead of protecting it. Usually, they do this by bombarding you with ads, tracking your internet behavior and installing malware.
Are VPN’s safe for Android?
Free VPNs are not safe; however, you can trust the above premium best Android VPN apps to protect your security and privacy.